Until the UC-IMC re-opens for physical gatherings, we give you "Sounds Like Community" -- local virtual events that you can attend via Zoom or radio
Some call SLC a variety show. Others call SLC the best way to hear and see the beauty of the diverse community that we love. The UCIMC is committed to providing a venue for emerging and established artists, and local and nationally recognized artists. The UCIMC fosters innovative art forms and encourages new voices from underrepresented populations to be experienced by Central Illinois audiences.
How to watch: To tune in to the livestream via facebook
Or you can listen by tuning your radio to WRFU 104.5 FM (low power Radio Free Urbana) or listen online at www.wrfu.net.
LIVESTREAM NOW ON FACEBOOK
1st & 3rd WEDNESDAYS AT 7PM
Sounds Like Community
Wednesday, July 21st, 7:00 PM
Why did SLC get started?:
- Given that community-based experiences are needed by all of us
- Given that our definition of "we" and "all of us" is: the diverse community of Urbana-Champaign, especially the artists and the social justice activists,
- Given that we care for each other,
- and out of deep love and appreciation for each other, Given that in order to keep each other as safe as possible, we need to be physically distanced during this global pandemic called COVID-19
- Given that we are deeply diminished by being physically distanced
- Given that the technology exists to allow us to be socially connected while being physically distanced
Therefore, the UCIMC created "Sounds Like Community", a weekly production of two 45 minute sets, to help the community, the artists, and the activists re-establish the time-based and community-based experiences that are so deeply diminished in our lives by the physical distancing needed during this global pandemic called COVID-19.
Sounds Like Community is brought to you by the UCIMC! Donate to the UCIMC so we can continue this type of programming AND continue to provide the much needed infrastructure for local IndyMedia, local community organizing, and our amazing working groups (Books to Prisoners, Makerspace, WRFU, Public i). The UC-IMC normally relies on venue rental for income; COVID-19 has severely cut this as income. So, any amount you can give will be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Make a Recommendation: Do you want to recommend a local artist, creation, organization, talk, or other content which you would like to see featured in our Sounds Like Community series? Please email us with your recommendations: [email protected]
Join the SLC team! Program design, selection, and scheduling of artists is accomplished by a programming committee made up of artists, art enthusiasts, and members of the public who represent diverse backgrounds and tastes. Decisions are guided by the principles of the UCIMC, with an emphasis on public access and underrepresented voices. // email [email protected] and they will put you on the email meeting announcement list. Tell them you want to be part of Sounds Like Community.