Venue Interns (Bilingual English/Spanish and English-Only)
Posted: July 28th, 2021
The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (UCIMC) is seeking a part-time Venue Management Intern to staff IMC events and our public computer lab. At least one candidate must be bilingual in English and Spanish and will help broaden access and collaboration with our local Spanish-speaking community.
The Venue Management interns will work 10-20 hours per week. UCIMC offers a $200 monthly stipend. Interns will be required to work evenings and weekends when the venue is in highest demand. Interns report to the Executive Director.
About the UCIMC
UCIMC is a 20-year-old grassroots organization committed to using media, arts, and technology to promote social and economic justice. Our Center is powered by hundreds of volunteers who come together in a do-it-yourself spirit to amplify underrepresented voices and perspectives. To this end, the UC-IMC owns the downtown Urbana post office building, a historic 30,000 square foot space where we operate a performance venue with over 150 music, art, and social events each year -- as well an art gallery and studios, community radio station, music studio, library and archive, Makerspace, Books to Prisoners, and more.
Applicants should submit the following to [email protected]. Applications must be submitted by email. Applications received via Facebook will not be accepted.
- A resume/CV
- Letter of intent
- Two references
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position may start as early as August 23rd.
- Manage the UCIMC’s three venue spaces: Stage, Gallery, and Sunroom
- With the Executive Director, seek out potential event opportunities.
- Communicate with potential event hosts, provide tours and orientation to the venue, sound equipment, cleaning supplies,
- Schedule the spaces, answer questions about the contract, interface with interested users.
- Learn and provide training on the sound system; provide documentation as needed.
- Prepare event spaces before the event, greet hosts, provide support throughout the event, ensure the host resets the space, close up afterwards.
- Document each event: track attendance, money collected , incidents, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- An interest in venue management, community programs, basic sound engineering, arts and culture
- High level of maturity and responsibility
- Ability to work with people of all ages, races, gender identities
- Ability to build a welcoming environment and holding boundaries to build a culture of cooperation
Equal Opportunity Employment
At the IMC, we don’t just accept differences - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees and our community. The IMC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and workplace.