Venue Management Intern
The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center (UCIMC) is seeking two part-time interns to manage our 3 venue spaces: to help event hosts keep their events welcoming, secure, and safe for all attendees. The Venue Management Interns will work approximately 10-20 hours per week, depending on the demand. UCIMC offers a $200 monthly stipend. Venue management interns will be required to work evenings and weekends when the venue is in highest demand. Interns report to the Executive Director.
About the UCIMC
UCIMC is a 20-year-old grassroots organization committed to using media, arts, and technology to promote social and economic justice. Our Center is powered by hundreds of volunteers who come together in a do-it-yourself spirit to amplify underrepresented voices and perspectives. To this end, the UC-IMC owns the downtown Urbana post office building, a historic 30,000 square foot space where we operate a performance venue with over 150 music, art, and social events each year -- as well an art gallery and studios, community radio station, music studio, library and archive, Makerspace, Books to Prisoners, and more.
Applicants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A resume or CV
- Letter of intent
- Three reference contacts, at least two must be professional or academic
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Manage the UCIMC’s three venue spaces: Stage, Gallery, and Sunroom
- With the Executive Director, seek out potential event opportunities.
- Communicate with potential event hosts, provide tours and orientation to the venue, sound equipment, cleaning supplies,
- Schedule the spaces, answer questions about the contract, interface with interested users.
- Learn and provide training on the sound system; provide documentation as needed.
- Prepare event spaces before the event, greet hosts, provide support throughout the event, ensure the host resets the space, close up afterwards.
- Document each event: track attendance, money collected , incidents, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Successful applicants will demonstrate
- An interest in venue management, community programs, basic sound engineering, arts and culture
- High level of maturity and responsibility
- Ability to work with people of all ages, races, gender identities
- Ability to build a welcoming environment and holding boundaries to build a culture of cooperation