Makerspace Urbana, a working group of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center, is dedicated to enabling the blend of arts, humanities, science and technology. Our mission is to provide an open community lab where people of diverse backgrounds can learn, teach, tinker, collaborate, share, innovate, socialize, and create.
For more details on how we came to be, check out this excellent presentation one of our members put together: Intro to Makerspace Urbana.
We always welcome new makers and would love to have you drop in to check out our space. Check our calendar or Facebook page for open hours and events.
Everyone is welcome to attend our open hours and there is no financial obligation or requirement to join our community.
If you are interested in having 24/7 access to the space, formalizing your membership, and/or providing sustaining financial support, we have a several different ways that you can do so. Benefits and costs for levels of membership are detailed below. In order to join at any level you will need to attend one of our monthly membership meetings (generally held on the last Sunday of the month) and be approved by general consensus. More info on types of memberships here.
We’re located at 202 S. Broadway Ave in Urbana at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center. Our space is in the basement, at the end of the hall beside the costume closet and at the opposite end of the hall from the bike project.
Our Tools and Supplies
This is by no means a complete list! But this should give you an idea of what type of things are here for you:
- Four sewing machines
- 1034D 3/4 Thread Serger with Differential Feed
- Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine – Brother SE400
- Random sewing kit essentials (scissors, chalk, seam rippers, measuring tape… etc.)
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Vinyl Cutter – Silhouette Cameo (Tutorial)
- Random electronic components (Resistors, capacitors, LED’s, buttons, switches, wire…. etc.)
- Analog Oscilloscope – Tektronix Type 503
- Digital Oscilloscope – Tektronix TBS 1202B-EDU
- Solidoodle 2nd Generation – Pro
- Lulzbot Mini
- 6000 volt power supply
- All the soldering irons!
- Solder and Solder wick
- Hot air rework station – AOYUE INT 852
- 2D printer (as in prints ink on paper), inkjet and laserjet
- Air Compressor
- Hot air guns
- Table Saw & Circular Saw
- Mini belt sander
- Dremel press and accessories
- Lampworking Kit
- Large paper cutter
- Pewter casting materials
- Wall warts and cables
- Random hand tools (Hammers, drills, saws, tin snips, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, Cat 5 Cable Crimper, die and tap set, wire cutters… etc.)
- Arts and craft supplies (Pens, markers, hot glue guns, pipe cleaners, stickers, sparkly thing… etc.)
- First aid kit
- Pop! 50¢ Amazing deal!