THIS PROJECT WAS COMPLETED IN SPRING 2021
Youth Workshop Series
funded by the Healing Illinois Grants Initiative!
Saturday, May 1, 8, 16th from 2:30-4:30 at the IMC
Note: Age range extended! 10yr-19yr-olds welcome!
REGISTRATION CLOSED - Submit your request to register HERE!
More about the series . . .
This workshop series will focus on youth voice in the racial healing process.
Participants will have the opportunity to …
- explore topics related to race, racism, bias, prejudice, and healing
- collaborate through conversation and art
- share their experiences and express their thoughts through the creation of art, writing, and/or digital media.
Goals of Healing Illinois Grant Initiative:
- Build and advance knowledge and understanding of racial healing and racial equity in communities across the state
- Increase trust and relationship building, among the residents of Illinois
- Provide opportunities for communities and individuals to begin to heal from the harms caused by racism
- Build the foundation for long-term racial healing and anti-racism in Illinois.
(this and more info can be found at: https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=128229)
Brandy Smith - Experienced writer with a demonstrated history of working in the entertainment industry. Skilled in Fiction, Theatre, Editing, and creative writing. Studied at Loyola University of Chicago, Columbia College and Second City.
Drake Materre - Drake is a member of BSFR | Black Students for Revolution, an active presence within CC ARC | Champaign County Anti-Racist Coalition, and Assistant Project Manager of Natural Path Nutrition, Inc. For more information on Drake Materre, see his interview with the IMC on the IMC YouTube Channel (https://youtu.be/Fg5sHKF4-Qo).
- Due to COVID19 precautions, the number of participants is limited to 12.
- There will be two to four facilitators present at all times.
- THREE Saturday workshops
- from 2:30-4:30 PM
- May 1, May 8, and May 15
- at the Independent Media Center (202 S. Broadway Ave., Urbana)
- Participants will receive $ COMPENSATION $ upon completion of the series!
COVID19 Precautions: This workshop series will be in person, and all participants will be REQUIRED to wear a mask and maintain social distancing. As well, all participants and facilitators will check temperatures upon arrival (and will not be able to enter if temp measures over 100.4 degrees F).
This project is funded by a grant from Healing Illinois, a racial healing initiative of the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS), in partnership with The Chicago Community Trust
Do you like this page?