The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center offers creative, inspiring and collaborative spaces to work, to host your events, and for meeting space -- all rates are discounted/subsidized by the UC-IMC as part of our mission. We have venue spaces, office and artist spaces, meeting spaces, a public computer lab and parking spaces available for rental. We are located in the historic Post Office building in the heart of downtown Urbana Illinois. Our address is 202 S. Broadway, suite 100; Urbana, IL 61801.
If you'd like to schedule your event or a tour at the UCIMC:
- You can call us at (217) 344-8820,
- or email us at [email protected]
Open Hours/Computer Lab Hours:
Monday - Closed
Tuesday - 5:00pm-8:00pm
Wednesday - 5:00pm-8:00pm
Thursday - 5:00pm-8:00pm
Friday - 2:00pm-5:00pm
Saturday - 2:00pm-5:00pm
Sunday - 2:00pm-5:00pm
Book donations for Books to Prisoners can be left in the drop box at any time when our building lobby is open, from 6:00am-8:00 pm daily.
Public Computer Lab
We have a small public computer lab with 3 brand new PCs and two older computers. All computers are internet connected and equipped with the Microsoft Office suite, as well as other media creation software. Currently one computer is equipped with the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite if you would like to work on a project in Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, Audition, InDesign and more.
We are currently hosting a Design Help Desk with science artist Julia Pollack in the computer lab! Julia will be available from 2-5 pm on the second Saturday of each month throughout the summer (July 10th, August 14th, and September 11th).
Julia has worked in libraries, and is currently a science artist at the University of Illinois. She has experience using the Adobe Suite and many open-source alternatives, most often using the programs to make print designs, short abstract moving image pieces, and photoshop art works. If you are trying to make posters, business cards, or art projects, she would love to help you with what you're working on, no idea too little or too big, and if you can't figure it out together she is happy to see who she can connect you with to get you what you need!
If you would like to attend a Design Help Desk session, please fill out this form.
Meeting Spaces: Small group meeting spaces and Gathering spaces
We have beautiful, comfortable non-private meeting spaces with WI-FI. We can provide electrical power strips upon request.
Our zine (and book) library is one meeting space on the main floor. The library has a conference table and is a very productive space.
We also have a set of 8 comfortable chairs and a low table that can be set up in the gallery or other spaces.
Our library, meeting space, and a public computer lab are available off the Main Space. Depending on the other events happening in the building, there might be other spaces that can be used for smaller meetings.
If you are a non-profit organization with a similar mission, you must become an organizational or individual member to get up to one meeting per week up to 3 hours for free -- donations are encouraged (our utility bills for this big beautiful building are quite high). Often groups who meet will pass the hat to support the IMC.
- If your group does not want to become a member of the IMC, you will be charged for meeting space usage.
- You must schedule the space use through our staff. Please email <[email protected]> -- we have a lot of groups wanting to use our space.
- NOTE: If there will be any type of performance, it is an event, not a small group meeting. If more than 20 people are expected, it is an event. If you need access to the sound system, it is an event.
Office and Artist Studio spaces
A wide variety of large and small spaces are available at competitive prices for retail services, offices, workshops, studios, and more. You can connect with diverse UCIMC artists-in-residence for additional artistic support and inspiration!
We have a variety of sizes and artist studios with rents from $155 - $750/month with utilities and WIFI included.
Up to $2000 in grants are available from the City of Urbana for new businesses - we can help you apply! City of Urbana business grants
Make an appointment to see what rooms are available by contacting our Program Director <[email protected]> or call 217-344-8820.
Our Event Space
- Event Space: A large 4500 SF space available for rent for your events, art shows, or performances.
The UC-IMC houses a large community center, including a 4500 SF event space with 299 capacity. This provides an opportunity to hold performances, church gatherings, conferences, workshops, art exhibits and other events on-site at hourly or daily rates.
Our main event space is complete with a stage, lighting and sound equipment.
Access is through the front doors (up the front steps) or accessible side wheelchair accessible entrance.
The main floor is wheelchair accessible and there is an all-gender, accessible bathroom. You can call 217.344-8820 if you have any accessibility questions.
Choose either The Main (Stage) Space, the Sunroom, (or Both), or the Gallery Space:
- Moveable walls allow you to configure the spaces.
- 15 tables and ~200 chairs available for use.
The Main Space
- Raised, accessible stage
- Lighting and sound equipment for a small additional cost. [Or you can bring your own.]
- Projector and screen can also be arranged for a small additional cost. [Or you can bring your own.]
- Size: 2500 square feet
- The Gallery space is directly connected to the Main Space.
- The Sun Room is accessed through the Main Space as well.
The Sun Room
- Sunny (hence the name Sun Room) and quieter.
- Size: 2300 square feet
- Connected to the IMC Main Space
- Approx. 400 square feet of windowed space between the Sun Room and Main Space.
- Consider showing your artwork here! We welcome your display free of charge -- people can visit your display during our normal open hours.
- We do charge hourly fees for opening or closing events, as these are not usually during our regular hours of operation.
- The IMC collects a percentage of all sales.