A base of more than one thousand volunteers represents the backbone of the UCIMC; they design and operate nearly all of our programs. In 2014, 1023 volunteers gave 51,150 hours of their time - the equivalent of 24.5 full time staff. 100% of the 20 members of the UCIMC board of directors give to the UCIMC. Our board is made up of educators, artists, and community organizers who represent the diversity of our community in race/ethnicity, age, income, and sexual orientation. More than 90% of the UCIMC’s equipment has been donated, including a new computer lab last year, and more than 400,000 books have been donated by the community since 2004.
UCIMC is powered by the people, which ensures that our programs are supported by the community and meet community needs.
Here's how to get involved at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center:
- Become a member of the UCIMC! Visit the membership page for more details or stop by the IMC. Without the financial support of our membership the UCIMC simply would not exist. Membership costs $50 per year, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds. Members are welcome to use the center for rehearsals and gatherings for free (limited)/reduced prices.
- Volunteer for some of the immediate needs of the IMC.
- Attend events. Come to an event or stop by! Check out the calendar to view upcoming events and open hours. Stop in and introduce yourself, browse our library, and take advantage of the free wireless connectivity or public access computers. We are located in downtown Urbana post office building at 202 South Broadway at Elm Street and Broadway. Any bus that goes to downtown Urbana comes to our doorstep.
- Plug into a working group or project! The UCIMC is organized into Working Groups which each have responsibility for different areas of the Center's operations. A good way to get involved is to attend a meeting for the Working Group that most interests you. All group meetings are open to the public and all groups are eager to accept new members! You can check the out here.
- Join the IMC's board! Or, you can join a committee! For instance, did you know there is a committee that is planning a whole year of events to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the UCIMC? If you like to plan parties, then the Anniversary Committee is the place for you!!!