The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is located in the historic Post Office building in the heart of downtown Urbana. As a non-profit organization, the UCIMC offers these spaces at affordable rates for your use.
What We Can Offer
We have spaces available for a one time rental and a number of studio and office spaces available.
Why Rent From UCIMC
UCIMC houses a community center, complete with a stage, professional lighting and sound equipment. This provides an opportunity to hold conferences, workshops, and other events on-site at hourly rates. There are other smaller meeting rooms available, as well as a public computer access lab.
General building and grounds maintenance is provided.
Transportation to and from UCIMC is easy.
Visitor parking is only 25 cents an hour in the city parking deck right across the street.
MTD bus service operates a main hub right across the street, providing routing service throughout the C-U area.
WRFU 104.5 FM (Radio Free Urbana) is on-site and available for you to broadcast shows in areas of your expertise.
Professional video and audio equipment and training are available both off-site and in UCIMC's production room for members who have been trained and oriented.
Connect with diverse UCIMC artists in residence for additional artistic support and inspiration or make use of our woodshop/workshop area, complete with woodworking tools and other artist's supplies.
The Bike Coop is located inside UCIMC, providing you with yet another means of healthy and eco-friendly transportation
Contact us for a tour today: email@example.com or 217-344-8820.
UCIMC houses a 299 capacity community center, complete with a stage, lighting and sound equipment. This provides an opportunity to hold conferences, workshops, performances, art exhibits and other events on-site at hourly or daily rates. There are other smaller meeting rooms available, as well as a public computer access lab.
The Sun Room
- Connected to the IMC Main Space (see below).
- Size - 2300 square feet
The Main Space
- Connected to the Sun Room (see above).
- Raised stage; lighting and sound sound equipment.
- Size - 2500 square feet
- Capacity of both spaces – 299
Media Production Room
- UCIMC Members can rent one space for $30/hr, or $300/day. Both spaces simultaneously go for $45/hr or $450/day.
- Non-members can rent one space for $40/hr or $400/day. They can rent both spaces for $600/hr or $60/day.
- If there is an admission fee for the event, the UCIMC collects $1 per person.
- A security deposit and down payment on the rental is required.
- The event deposit is the greater of $100 or 50% of the amount of the space rental.
- This is an event space security deposit that will be refunded pending inspection of space, confirmation of no damages, and completion of all required items.
- All events are smoke free.
- Most events are alcohol free with all ages are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- To have alcohol, liquor liability insurance is required at time of signing
Sound System Information
For events requiring a sound system, there are three options:
- You provide and use your own sound system
- An IMC sound technician scheduled in advance; $50/a night
- We train you as a sound tech, you offer to volunteer at future events; $25/a night.
- Only venue approved sound technicians are allowed to use the venue sound system and access the Venue Equipment Cabinet.
- Venue may or may not have sound technicians available.
- Training is available by appointment.
- No venue approved sound technician means no show.